Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for July, 2011

Greetings Everyone,

Three weeks since my last update and the dramas continued.  After we picked up the spare anchor from our friends we sailed on towards Mackay and the gear cable broke!!   We went into the marina there and then onto the slips with me sitting in the engine room and pushing a knob every time Phil needed to change gear.

In 2 1/2 days on the slips Phil changed the prop shaft bearing and shaft seal, the top and bottom rudder shaft bearings and shaft seal, the gear-change morse cable, the engine throttle morse cable and both steering cables.  He reckoned “not bad for an electrician”.

We then sailed to Airlie Beach and picked up first aid gear and torch batteries for PNG and then on to Townsville.  We waited here to FINALLY pick up our long-term visas and also a replacement anchor provided by the manufacturer of the swivel that broke.  Apparently they are withdrawing the product until they can find out why it broke.

Tomorrow we clear customs and will move out to Magnetic Island to wait for a weather window to the Louisiades.  Keep praying for fair winds and smooth seas.

As usually we are well loaded — two 80 watt solar panels; two 100 Ah deep cycle batteries; three HF radios; antennas and other radio gear; 1000 exercise books; several hundred Bibles; several large cartons of reference books for pastors; several large cartons of first aid materials; Sunday School materials;  LED video projector and screen and amplifier and two 24Ah batteries (these are to show teaching videos in the remote villages); several cartons of clothes; 100 “D” cell batteries; gardening and hand tools plus other odds and ends.  All the cabins are full and we have seven cartons and two batteries to walk over to get to our cabin and eight cartons on the floor in the saloon area (all jammed in so they can’t move in the rough seas).

Tomorrow the customs have to sight some of the goods so we can claim back the GST and Phil spent an hour this afternoon searching through lockers and under the floor trying to remember where some of the items have been stowed.

God bless you all,

Pam and Phil

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Greetings Everyone,

An update to my last update to ask you to intensify your prayer support.

We waited out the weekend to go on the slips on Monday.  On Monday morning the slipways at Gladstone rang that a trench for laying cables had been dug over the weekend across the path of the travel lift and they couldn’t take us out that day.  We rang each day and were unable to get any idea at all how long we would have to wait.  We contacted both the slipways in Townsville and one was booked out for a month and the other was in the process of moving to another site.  We decided to wait, so went ashore to speak to the Gladstone Slipways.  Still no idea when the trench will be filled in.  We rang Mackay slips.  Yes they could take us.  So we left Gladstone Wednesday night , going down The Narrows at 1am to catch the high tide.  We anchored at 3am for a couple of hours sleep then prepared to set off at 6am.

As Phil lifted the anchor the chain came up without it — our new you-beaut anchor provided by the insurance after the flood damage and attached by the marina people with a special swivel fitting.  This had broken and left the anchor buried somewhere in mud several metres deep in nine metres of the most opaque water you could imagine.  And we were then drifting down The Narrows with the two knot current.

We have now motored to the Keppel Islands and met up with some yachtie friend who have loaned us one of their spare anchors.  (Yes we do have a second and third anchor but they had two MAIN anchors).

Keep praying — we still believe God wants us in the Louisiades and are determined to persevere, whatever comes.

God bless,

Pam and Phil

Read Full Post »

Greetings Everyone,

A month since my last update and still further delays. I am again reading ‘Waiting on God’ by Andrew Murray. It seems essential reading for me for this season each year. We actually left Bundaberg Friday night after waiting a week for the weather — 30-35 knot winds and three metre seas on two metre swells didn’t sound nice to start the trip. We were sailing along nicely at 6 to 7 plus knots with the sails goose-winged and the seas behind us (almost perfect sailing) but Phil became increasingly alarmed by the obvious knocking sound that shuddered through the boat. He decided the prop shaft bearing was the problem and must be replaced so we are now in Gladstone harbour waiting to go up on the slips on Monday and hoping they have a suitable bearing in stock. Please keep praying for our visas. We have obtained tourist visas but are still hoping the process for our three year visas will have been completed before we leave Australia and we can switch them over. NEXT e-mail we will be on the high (not too high) seas!!

God bless,

Pam and Phil

Read Full Post »