Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘2013 Flood damage’ Category

Greetings Everyone,

Great results!! All my biopsies were clear. The skin graft has taken well. The harvest site is pink with new skin. The nurse who did the dressings said she had hardly seen a better healing for this stage. One thing I didn’t know is that the doctor had stapled the new skin in place and so those staples had to come out; over a dozen of them — ouch!! Phil says I have a large hole in my leg but at this stage I don’t want to see it.. (A kilo of car body filler should level it up, [Phil]).

Phil is leaving here on Monday the 3rd and flying to Turkey on the 12th to the 20th. I’ll be staying at my Dad’s (email admin for number) if you want to get in touch with me.

Thanks to so many of you for the prayers and support — I feel very blessed and loved.

Gos bless,

Pam and Phil

PS I have attached a photo of the damage (Phil)

P1000815

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Greetings Everyone,

The operation went well and I stayed overnight in hospital (not the 2-3 days the doctor originally thought) and they took a piece over four inches in diameter off my leg just above the ankle. I’m now home at my Dad’s place with my leg in plaster to immobilise the skin graft area. Thankyou for all your prayer — I have absolutely NO pain, even where they took the skin graft from.

On Friday the 31st the specialist will look at the operation site and the site on my thigh where the skin was harvested and will also give me the results of the biopsies on my lymph nodes. I feel really well, lifted up by the love and prayers of so many. There have been so many sending messages of concern. Please forgive me if I don’t answer each personally and take this as my heartfelt thanks.

Phil is booked to fly to Turkey on the 12th June to secure the boat. The owner flew over a few weeks ago to get it ready and is waiting for Phil. They will return to Australia on the 20th June. When I am fit enough Phil and I will fly back to Turkey.

God bless you all,

Pam and Phil

Read Full Post »

Greetings Everyone,

Who was it said, “The best laid plans of mice and men ……?

Well our plans have gone astray and we are busy cancelling our arrangements as on the day we would have flown out of Australia, the 22nd May, I am booked in for surgery in Lismore Hospital to have a very invasive melanoma on my leg cut out. The operation will involve a large skin graft and possible removal of lymph glands in my groin. So — I will be out of action for a couple of months. Phil will possibly fly to Turkey to do the boat sale and secure it until we are ready. The owner has already flown over there to get it ready for us.

It is probably a blessing that Maranatha was damaged in the flood as otherwise we would have been leaving for PNG and would not have found out about the Melanoma. As it was, Phil had decided to get some medical checks done that he had been putting off for ten years and I went with him when he got his results (all clear) just to say good-bye to the doctor (he is a friend) before we left for overseas and the doctor noticed it and sent me to see a specialist immediately.

Please pray that the melanoma hasn’t spread to other parts of my body and that the skin graft takes. I am rather stunned but grateful that this has surfaced now and not half way around the world.

God bless,

Pam and Phil

Read Full Post »

Greetings Everyone,

Well, some movement at last. We are booked to fly to Turkey leaving Australia on 22nd May and stopping for a tour of Israel on the way. The plans are to spend some time on the coast of Turkey and Greek Islands (yes, we have had many volunteers to crew this section) getting used to the boat. Then we would leave the Med in October to cross the Alantic to the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal in February and across the Pacific to reach Australia in November 2014.

Of course, as in the best laid plans, this one is negotiable. We are taking one step at a time and seeing where God leads us. The insurance company has definitely decided not to fix Maranatha and is still debating the final settlement. Please pray for wisdom in decision making and packing bags to required weight and that I don’t get sea-sick on the long ocean passages. Two of the passages are about 3000 nautical miles and will take 25 – 30 days each (not so many volunteers for these sections). Phil always built Maranatha to sail around the world so here is his opportunity and who knows what lies ahead.

God bless,

Pam and Phil

Read Full Post »

Greetings Everyone,

Please Pray. We are still facing constant frustration over our ongoing insurance claim. It’s been an emotional roller-coaster for us. The marina has submitted impossibly high claims, topping $175,000 for the repairs. The insurance company is not happy with that but not wanting to pay us out either and trying to reduce the costs on both fronts. We were told unofficially two weeks ago that it had been written off so we started looking for alternatives, then yesterday that there has been no decision.

We are torn between wanting Maranatha repaired and back in the water — the damage though expensive is not that bad and should be repaired — or alternatively buying an Australian registered boat in Turkey (the wife died and the husband wants to sell) and sail it home via the Panama and the Pacific. It is almost identical to Maranatha and fitted out exactly as we would need for our work and we would be happy to go that way. A new “problem” is that if we buy it overseas, even though it is an Australian boat we have to pay about 15% impost duty when we arrive. All we want is a final outcome, a just settlement, a good boat which meets our ministry needs and God’s direction on which way to go.

Keep praying.

God bless,

Pam and Phil

Read Full Post »

Read Full Post »

Greetings Everyone,

We’ve hit an obstacle as regards boat repairs. In order to make access to weld in the new metal plating on the starboard side the three water tanks and the fuel tank have to come out. They are securely fixed under the floor boards with all the saloon area furnishing securely fixed on top. It’s quite a major work and the marina is quoting 500 hours at $100 an hour just for the labour on that and a further $60,000 for the metal work. The trouble is there is no competition for the marina and after the flood they have miles of work.

The assessor has gone to negotiate prices with them and we are going to see if a builder friend in Bundy can tackle the task at a much lower cost. Please pray for the whole situation and for us as to how to proceed. We have looked at some other boats for sale and it’s hard to find a steel boat in good condition fitted out to our needs and (not) just for luxury cruising.

We will keep you informed.

God bless,

Pam and Phil

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »